Custom and active display backplate

I’m thinking about adding a I2C NFC reader for reading badges and FIDO keys and while contemplating the space inside the case I was wondering about changing the backplate of the display for a custom one with a special PCB which would embed the antenna, and maybe a WIFI antenna while we’re at it and on the inside face some U.FL connectors and why not a prototype board or even a i2c NFC reader with an QWIIC connector?

Do anyone here have experimented with this and/or have an idea for a custom and “active” (= more than just a cover and heatsink) display backplate?

3 Likes

If you could, please include 5G and GPS antennae.

Thanks.

ideas:
passive: definitely a copper heatsink inlay in the middle efficiently cooling all central components.
active: an e-paper-display on the backside, which could display things while the main display is off/closed, while not using as much power.

1 Like

The e-ink display would be a nice addition, it’s a nice idea, especially as there’s I2C e-ink displays available even ones with QWICC connector as this one : https://www.tindie.com/products/alexchu/qwiic-e-ink-display29inchblack-white-and-red/ (sources: GitHub - ZIOCC/Zio-Qwiic-E-ink-Display-2.9inch)

1 Like

Even though I don’t know how far the community go with this idea, I’ll envision cool pocket reform based cyberdecks with lots of accessories plugged on such backplates (image a breadboard on it!)

Idea of the day: a thick alluminium backplate with fins which doubles as heatsink

A bit like fanless embedded/edge computers :

Bonus point for a cyberpunk look!

4 Likes

What’s not to love in a biomimicry coral reef cyberpunk heatsink? :sunglasses::coral::tropical_fish:

1 Like

There’s of course also the opportunity to go flashy with blinky LEDs on the cover. That’s less unusual though :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Speaking of backplate and removing them, the security conscious ones would be able to easily implement an intrusion switch behind each of the backplate to register if one of them as been opened (and decide which action to do based on that). An easy way to do that will be to hookup tiny switches to a debounce board like this one through the I2C connector and deal with their states through the system controller.

Also a mechanical ejection pole to help remove the mainboard backplate which is often stuck to the CPU through the thermal pad would be a nice idea.

I really like this idea, and it feels like it might be extra helpful if you want to put an RK3588 module in the Pocket.