Hardware compatibility: Bluetooth

Nice, thanks for sharing @devyl

An alternative approach for using Bluetooth audio devices on *nix system that I have I’ve stumbled upon in the OpenBSD community and since adopted—actually even not only when I have to use a bt dongle anyway, (i.e. on my desktop)—is to use the Creative BT-W2. It’s a little plug-and-play USB dongle which presents itself as a standard audio device—also on *nix—and handles all of the Bluetooth pairing and audio communication itself.

To use it on the Reform though, one need to edit the file /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/profile-sets/default.conf and replace device-strings = hw:0 with device-strings = hw:%f. After saving and restarting pulseaudio (systemctl --user restart pulseaudio.service) one can select the device via reform-pavucontrol.sh.

I can highly recommend this setup. These days I actually prefer it over using system’s bt stack. Not only for not having to install and configure system bt stack, but actually b/c for me bt then feels sooo much more reliable, and fun (again). :slight_smile:

hth

5 Likes