Looking for testing and feedback for new reform-check utility

Correct. :slight_smile: But this is great because this means that the reform-check utility gets a lot of testing from you. :smiley: Thanks to your feedback I now uploaded a new version of reform-check with these additional features:

• if /etc/apt/preferences.d/reform.pref doesn’t exist, explain what its contents should be
  • if /etc/apt/preferences.d/reform.pref doesn’t exist, explain that it’s dangerous to install any packages
  • check if /etc/fstab has an entry for / and if not, suggest a correct entry based on what is currently mounted as /
  • check if /etc/fstab has an entry for /boot and if not, suggest a correct entry depending on whether /boot is on sd-card or eMMC
  • check if anything is mounted on /boot and if not, suggest to fix /etc/fstab
  • if /boot/flash.bin doesn’t exist, suggest how to obtain the most recent version
  • if /etc/flash-kernel/machine suggest that it should either contain MNT Reform 2 or MNT Reform 2 HDMI which can be achieved by running reform-display-config
  • if /etc/default/flash-kernel doesn’t exist, suggest what to put into it
  • if /etc/initramfs-tools/modules doesn’t exist, suggest what to put into it
  • check if the https://mntre.com/reform-debian-repo repository is enabled and if not, suggest what to put into /etc/apt/sources.list to do so
  • check if the linux-image-arm64 can be obtained by the mntre.com repo or not
  • check if the installed linux-image-arm64 package comes from the mntre.com repo or not
  • if /boot/boot.scr doesn’t exist, suggest running update-initramfs -u to create it
  • if /etc/modprobe.d/reform.conf doesn’t exist, suggest which lines to put into it

Essentially, your problem seems to be that you are using a system before sysimage-v3 and u-boot is finding a kernel on a /boot partition somewhere and that kernel successfully boots your system on nvme but then your system doesn’t mount /boot and thus your kernel is never updated. In a way that is good, because if it were updated, you would not use the patched kernel from mntre.com and the missing initramfs-modules, flash-kernel entries and missing modprobe blacklisting would make your system unbootable anyways.

I suggest you take a snapshot of your system and then attempt to upgrade it to sysimage-v3. I don’t know how much i’ll manage to be online on IRC during the holidays but maybe we catch each other some time soon. :smiley:

3 Likes