MNT Pocket Reform Essentials

So far so good, just 3 main issues:

• no suspend with the default CPU
  • power drain in OFF mode (about 20% of power during the night)
  • WiFi stability on bad signal (my Reform 2 works there but the Pocket is out of luck)

Writing from the Pocket now…

1 Like

I just published an Errata document for the first print of the MNT Pocket Reform Operator Handbook: https://mntre.com/documentation/pocket-reform-handbook-errata-20240613-incl-schematics.pdf

After having mine for a couple of days, here are my personal essentials so far. Maybe this info will help someone else as well:

• Installed an NVMe: Kingston NV2 1TB M.2 2280 (There was no screw provided to install the NVMe, so I had to use one I found in my junk drawer).

• Switched over to the NVMe by running /sbin/reform-setup-encrypted-nvme, which then runs reform-migrate. (Keep in mind though that currently you will only see a blank screen on boot, where you need to wait a moment and then type your decrypt password and press enter before the boot proceeds: Error creating Encrypted SSD / Migrating - #42 by minute )

• To me, the default resolution scale in sway/wayfire was much too large, so I changed mine to this:
    ~/.config/wayfire.ini
    [output:DSI-1]
    scale = 1.500000

• There are no “feet” on the bottom of the unit which made me cringe every time I set it down on something, so I put some stick-on rubber feet on the bottom of the case.

• For charging, I have been using the PD output of my PinePower Desktop and it has been working with no issues. I can highly recommend the PinePower in general, they seem to charge everything whether you need PD, QC, or even Qi wireless; and the display on them is handy as well. PinePower Desktop - PINE64

2 Likes

What is your version of the reform-tools package?

Hello josch, and a belated “thank you” for all the Reform work that you do!
My reform-tools is at version 1.45, that’s currently the one that apt gives me when I try updating it.

1 Like

@minute it seems that your changes from

Did not result in the display turning on early enough after all?

What size screw does that need? I ordered an NVMe ready for when I get my Pocket, but don’t want to risk breaking anything by using the wrong type of screw (stripping thread, or it digging in to any circuitry below…)

5 mm M2 (a post must be at least 20 characters long…)

3 Likes

I did the same. 1.5 is far more useful for me and most UI’s now fit and function properly.

I think feet would be good as well, but until now I haven’t used them. The bottom plate is easily replaceable and is not metal so it shouldn’t scratch anything.

I have been using a Framework 13 and a Librem 5 charger for mine. The L5 charger seems to work better.

5 Likes

I’ve found a couple more things:

Carhartt CB0511 Crossbody Zip Bag
Fits like a glove! And can hold a charger in the outside pouch.

Anker Nano II Charger (B2145), 100W 3 ports
Tiny, lots of power, works with my Pocket.
https://a.co/d/hBhsSwn

3 Likes

I’ll throw a couple of suggestions in here.

If you need to connect to the USB-C connector, it is close to the edge of the board so I found a 90 degree adapter useful. (right)

I also like to use a different 90 degree corner adapter to reduce any cable strain if I’m plugged in while the machine is open. (left)

5 Likes

Glade to report that Dell PW7018LC Notebook Power Bank Plus(65W) works on my pocket reform.

3 Likes

Pleased to confirm that my Native Union 140W charger works well with Pocket Reform, even if I’m using it more than I expected.

1 Like

Glade to report Vaio slim type-C charger(RP-OPCF001) worked on pocket reform.

VaioスリムタイプC充電器(RP-OPCF001)がPocket Reformで動作したことを報告できて嬉しいです。

2 Likes