A tool to consistently customize immutable OS for daily-driver or server use

Are you interested in using a read-only Operating System such as Tails, Fedora Silverblue, Debian or PureOS Live disks, etc, as a daily-driver? Do you not want to deal with the hassle of tolerating default app configurations or software installs? I wrote a tool to make it easy to customize your environment, enable persistence of data (e.g. if you’d like to retain your browser history/tabs), and numerous other quality-of-life improvements.

Boot up, run the script, and you’re done. Use the tool as a starting point and customize it to suit your needs.

It runs in a GNOME or headless server environment and is easy to configure a local apt-mirror repository, link persistent VM images, customize package lists, and so on. I’ve been daily-driving this on my laptops/desktops/servers for over 2 years. A nice perk of using a configuration like this is that it eliminates the need to upgrade your system and be concerned about migration issues. To upgrade, simply re-flash the boot drive to the newer OS version and use the same script to configure it.

I’m currently the sole developer for this tool and am happy to hear your feedback, feature requests, constructive criticism, etc. I’m also happy to expand development of the tool to support other environments, but those may require some patience/help.

Note: I have been running this on a variety of x86_64 machines and wanted to share the love, but Reform is not currently supported.

3 Likes

You bet! Also: incredible timing!! Besides my MNT Reform, this also sounds like the perfect approach for my journey towards dailing driving the #ThinkPad #X13s #ARM64—which likely requires for the foreseeable future some tweaking on top of mainline.

I’ve plan to give this a try and likely will report back here.

Thanks for your work and sharing. :raised_hands:

Though, it seems, I need to check and better understand the x86_64 <> ARM interoperability story…