BFG9060 and ZZ9000 - cold start problem

If you want to ask a technical support question, please include the following details. If not, you can delete all of this text.

• Amiga model: 4000d rev 2
  • 680x0 CPU: 68060
  • RAM Configuration : 16MB Fast RAM onboard, plus zz9000 & BFG memory
  • Kickstart, AmigaOS Versions: 3.2.2 kickstart and OS
  • ZZ9000 Firmware version: 1.13 full version.
  • ZZ9000 Driver version:
  • Monitor model: Dell U2940
  • Other Zorro cards: Buddha IDE

Hi, I have a weird issue in my A4000d whereby after switching on the machine will only boot after an additional 3 fingered salute.

It only manifests itself with the zz9000 - the machine without the zz9000 and with the BFG works fine.

With a 68030 processor card I dont have any issues at all with the zz9000.

The issue is only as a combination of both cards. I even tried an alternate BFG - same issue.

I have tried an alternate slot for the zz9000 - no change there.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Hi,

I just got my ZZ9000 and have basically the same setup as you.
I also had the same issue. I found via a Google search an answer to this problem on this very Forum.
You have to copy MuMove4K from MuTools (search Aminet). Then place a line in your Startup-Sequence just before Setpatch. So for example:

Work:C/MuMove4K
Setpatch

This solved my problem and i have been ā€˜seeingā€™ the ZZ9000 on 1st boot.

1 Like

Hi - Thanks! Since the CPU isnt going high until I soft reset then a software fix in Startup-Sequence isnt going to work.

I tried it anyway ofc.

Between the BFG and ZZ9000 I have some kind of ā€œholdā€ prior to the soft reset. Still no idea why!

I spotted this on Amibay, there is an update you can easily do to the BFGā€™s Flash.

Look at Post #69:

Careful thereā€¦ The post is from 2022 - chances are that if you have a newer BFG you might break something - The fix would already be in place

Yeah, its tempting - but Ill contact the builder of the BFG first I think. The description of the problem is exactly the issue I have though, which is interesting. Right now, a three fingered salute isnt the end of the world - and once booted the A4000 is rock solid. Ive another ZZ9000 on order - so Ill be swapping it over also, just to see if the problem follows the card.