Could the Pocket Reform have a reversible display? A secondary E-ink display?

Hello everyone, I recently learned about the Pocket Reform while looking into palmtop computers for use as smartphone replacements.

From the announcement mock ups it doesn’t seem to be on the roadmap, but how feasible would it be for MNT to release a version of the Pocket Reform with a reversible display, in the same fashion as the GPD Pocket 3 or the older 2-in-1 Thinkpads? Having touch-screen input like this could make it a lot more useful as a phablet-style smartphone replacement.

Additionally, has anyone investigated including a secondary E-ink display on the backside of the main display? I know that that technology is pretty badly encumbered by patents, but having a laptop that’s also an E-reader would be pretty awesome.

While I’m not in a position to speculate on future Pocket Reform releases, one of the advantages of Reform laptops in general is that they’re very modifiable. Everything from the electronics to the CAD is fully available on the mnt.re gitlab page:

I had just actually been thinking about a tablet pen of sorts myself. One tricky thing being, there aren’t any open source hardware tablet pens - let alone tablet pens with screens - that I can find. Including a closed-source one would somewhat go against the premise of having control of one’s device that’s very core to the Reform. But if you wanted to add one yourself, it would certainly be an interesting project.

2 Likes