Frankly Unusable NTSC modes

If you want to ask a technical support question, please include the following details. If not, you can delete all of this text.

• Amiga model: A4000
  • 680x0 CPU: BFG 060
  • RAM Configuration: 128 meg ram on BFG, 8 meg Fast Ram on Board 2 Meg Chip Ram
  • Kickstart, AmigaOS Versions: 3.2.2.1
  • ZZ9000 Firmware version: 1.13
  • ZZ9000 Driver version: 1.13
  • Monitor model: Various Monitors Tried
  • Other Zorro cards: XSurf-100

I have two of this cards. The first one purchased a few years ago and one I just received. Both running 1.13. The reality is native NTSC modes have always been troublesome. Sometimes they work. Most time they don’t. If I do the two finger salute and bring up the early boot control, I get a beautiful scan doubled NTSC screen. If I boot up with the OS 3.2 install disk, I get a normal NTSC. But when I boot the system to the Workbench, anything that goes into native NTSC results in a blinking, distorted or otherwise unusable screen such as Sysinfo for instance. This includes something as simple as adjusting overscan. If this were a monitor issue, I wouldn’t get a normal NTSC screen. Its driver related.

Not sure where to start with this one. When the drivers are installed, I get a wonderful RTG screen but unusable NTSC. If the drivers aren’t installed, I get great scan doubled NTSC. This happens with both cards. Help!

yeah I’ve noticed it has trouble locking onto the signal when my Indivision has no problems. I think there’s a subtle bug there. Its not just NTSC modes, BTW, this happens with some demos that switch PAL modes quickly.

Do you have an example demo where this happens reliably? Then I could reproduce it.