GPT vs MBR partition table

is it true, you need to use GPT instead of MBR for the disk type?

I have always used MBR for almost every system I have used.

I just wondered if for MBR works for any ARM devices. Feel free to reply.

You need to use GPT if your disk is larger than 2 TB.

For our system images (which are only a few GB) we currently are using MBR:

What made you think that GPT instead of MBR is needed?

So, this is true for NVME storage too then?

I was told otherwise. I guess I was misinformed?

What difference would it make whether your partition table is on sd-card, nvme or emmc when mbr vs. gpt is concerned?

Please provide some evidence that it is otherwise because i see none.

Well thats reassuring. I heard when I was on the framework laptop community website in a coreboot thread after asking a question about if legacy mode was available because I use MBR a lot. Long story short, he said he didn’t think that NVME worked without GPT.

So I guess I can safely say he was misinformed. This is good news.

Of course I was asking about an x86 device they making that has chromebook feel to it.

I give you all this info to explain where I was coming from btw.

Yeah, it was ignorant to believe them without checking.

The boot process of the Framework laptop is quite a bit different than on all the modules supported on the Reform. The Reform does not use coreboot nor a BIOS or similar. Instead, a bootloader called u-boot is getting loaded very early in the boot process and it is up to u-boot whether MBR or GPT are supported. There is to my knowledge nobody working on removing MBR support from u-boot. The Framework laptop does not utilize u-boot at all, so what applies to the Framework in this regard is very, very likely not applicable to the modules that the Reform currently ships with.

Apparently the person who told me this, was corrected by someone else. So maybe this is also true for framework. Its the stock bios supposedly on framework that can’t handle MBR it seems. But if coreboot were ported… yeah.

The benefit of GPT over MBR that most affected me is the ability to create >4 primary partitions. This is most noticeable on ARM devices that require a separate unencrypted /boot partition.

For other ARM devices, there is also the EFI partition in addition. Though that partition can also contain machinery to not require a /boot partition. Living without GPT is made easy by the existence of LVM2 which then also gets you other nice things that neither GPT or MBR are able to provide.