Hardware video decode lost after apt upgrade

I did a quick sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade on the Reform the other day… and now mpv isn’t playing ball on the hardware acceleration front.

Whoopsie!

The error:

blacklaw@reform:~$ mpv --hwdec=auto Hackers.m4v
 (+) Video --vid=1 (*) (h264 718x452 25.001fps)
 (+) Audio --aid=1 --alang=eng (*) (aac 2ch 48000Hz)
     Audio --aid=2 --alang=eng (ac3 6ch 48000Hz)
[vaapi] libva: vaGetDriverNameByIndex() failed with unknown libva error, driver_name = (null)
[vaapi] libva: vaGetDriverNameByIndex() failed with unknown libva error, driver_name = (null)
Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_nvidia.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[ffmpeg/video] h264_v4l2m2m: Could not find a valid device
[ffmpeg/video] h264_v4l2m2m: can t configure decoder
Could not open codec.
AO: [pulse] 48000Hz stereo 2ch float
VO: [gpu] 718x452 => 1021x452 yuv420p
AV: 00:00:07 / 01:40:45 (0%) A-V:  0.000 Dropped: 1

Exiting... (Quit)

Is there an easy way to restore the previous buttery-smooth playback functionality?

I assume that you used this recipe to get HW decoding? Notes on building ffmpeg and mpv to use the hardware H.264 decoder

It might be that mpv picks up new libraries instead of the custom built ones in /usr/local/lib. You can try to ldconfig /usr/local/lib again before running mpv.

Also, make sure command -v mpv returns /usr/local/bin/mpv instead of /usr/bin/mpv. The latter location will get overwritten by apt every time mpv has an upgrade.

I did not: it was working out-the-box on the bundled SD Card.

Gave that a go: no change, sadly.

It would appear I’m running /usr/bin/mpv - but to add a little wrinkle, I don’t have a /usr/local/bin/mpv.

I guess I’ll try the recipe above, see if that sorts things out!

1 Like

hey hope you got that sorted! mentioning smooth video playback i wanna ask if you could get hardware decoding for smooth playback of youtube on chromium?