How do I wipe a Pocket Reform?

A friend of mine got fed up with her Pocket Reform always killing its batteries in storage and and gave it to me to “do whatever” with. The first thing I have to do is make sure it’s clean of any personal/sensitive data.

I’ve got the latest system image written to a micro SD card, but the machine does not boot it, using the eMMC instead always. Even if I remove the m.2 SSD causing it to fail to mount rootfs, there doesn’t look like any way to get it to prefer the SD card.

With my classic Reform, there’s a switch on the imx8mq SoM, but I haven’t found anything like that on the RK3588, and the documentation is… sparse.

Does anyone know what I need to do to get this machine to boot off the SD so I can wipe it with a clean system image and maybe find a new home for it?

Try a different SD-card. The RK3588 has a bootloader (u-boot) which will prefer booting the system on sd-card over the system on emmc. If that doesn’t happen, then I suspect it cannot read the sd-card for some reason?

1 Like

Thanks, that worked.

The first one I tried was a 16GB SanDisk card, it worked with a 32GB PNY card. I’m not sure what’s different here but I got it logged in so I can wipe the eMMC and SSD now.