Yes, gnome seems to keep neglecting ARM. A related issue for gnome-control-center got closed:
The solution probably has to be implemented in libgtop2, this is the issue report:
As per usual, the problem is that FOSS projects are under-maintained. Robert Roth comments:
I could approve and merge, but unfortunately libgtop is practically unmaintained (I am a co-maintainer),
For those, who are curious, I integrated the changes and let the reform-debian-packages pipeline patch libgtop2 using the improvements by Andreas Glinserer:
A more difficult problem is how to get the correct system vendor information. It seems that modern desktops rely on hostnamectl but that one relies on dmi information which is not available on ARM unless we boot with UEFI. For UEFI booting, this MR from one year ago exists but is not merged because we don’t have enough people to do the testing and finishing this:
Without UEFI booting the best method I found was to write the information into /etc/machine-info but since that would lead to wrong data once a system is moved to a different SoM, that file would have to be written on each boot. Doing that is tricky because /etc is meant for admin configuration and boot scripts should not willy-nilly overwrite files which the admin of the system might have intended to look differently. More time is needed to find a good solution for that.
When using /etc/machine-info as a workaround, the about dialog of gnome-control-center could look like this:
Where does this hang? Not enough volunteers to do all the work on all levels of the system from kernel, to libraries all the way up to the gui. There are many places to help for anybody who wants to. I hope I was able to give some pointers. Relevant xkcd:

