DevilutionX running on the MNT

Other games I’ve been playing:

• Enigma
  • SRB2 Kart

Still on my wishlist:

• Settlers 2
  • P.O.D.
1 Like

Neat! Was it hard to build? Or just checkout and make?

I had to disable network support as described here, by adding -DNONET=ON to the make command.

I don’t plan on playing multiplayer, so that was not an issue for me. Everything else worked out of the box. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Runescape runs well with the runelite client:

Build from git with mvn install and run with

_JAVA_AWT_WM_NONREPARENTING=1 java -cp net.runelite.client.RuneLite -jar ~/.m2/repository/net/runelite/client/*-SNAPSHOT/client-*-SNAPSHOT-shaded.jar

The _JAVA_AWT_WM_NONREPARENTING bit is necessary so that resizing the window or making it fullscreen has an effect. The game runs at semi-playable 7-9 fps.

1 Like

I might be kidding myself here, but has anyone tried to run “Disco Elysium” on reform? It might be too new/taxing, but i might attempt to run it anyway.

Also, i’m looking forward to running GitHub - alexbatalov/fallout1-ce: Fallout for modern operating systems

Starcraft (+Broodwar) can be run by using box86 and wine 7. Debian unstable and testing ship wine 8 which is too new: wrap time64 glibc functions · Issue #600 · ptitSeb/box86 · GitHub But using wine 7 from Debian bullseye-backports works on bookworm (which will become the next Debian stable). No other hacks are needed. The game runs out-of-the box after mounting the ISO and running wine setup.exe:

Thanks to eery on #mnt-reform irc channel, i found out about an easy way to scale the 640x480 window to my 1920x1080 output without messing up the 4:3 aspect ratio of the game. This can be done by manually starting Xwayland like this:

Xwayland :1 -geometry 853x480 -fullscreen

And then running starcraft like this:

DISPLAY=:1 wine StarCraft.exe

If you also created a virtual 640x480 desktop in the Graphics tab of winecfg, then even moving the map by placing the mouse curser at the edge of the screen works fine and the game becomes playable like it was 1999. :smiley: You need Xwayland 23.1 or later for the -fullscreen setting to exist but you can grab a copy from Debian experimental.

2 Likes

Being able to play Starcraft on the Reform is going to be some kind of bucket list type thing. This game is fun and I can easily sink hours into it. Thanks!

1 Like

Stardew Valley works now:

You need the version of box64 that I just uploaded to Debian unstable (0.2.4+dfsg-1) and an old version of libssl:

cd "GOG Games/Stardew Valley/data/noarch/game"
wget http://snapshot.debian.org/archive/debian/20220507T034236Z/pool/main/o/openssl/libssl1.1_1.1.1o-1_arm64.deb
dpkg-deb -x libssl1.1_1.1.1o-1_arm64.deb prefix

And then start Stardew Valley with LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the extracted library:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$(pwd)/prefix/usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu" box64 Stardew\ Valley
3 Likes

I don’t yet have a reform to test this on, but I’m curious if the System Shock 1 source port Shockolate might work; it’s pretty low on resource usage, system shock 1 was a bit of video game history, and it’s generally a fun time to play. Plus, the unconventional control scheme (while somewhat changed in the source port to be a bit more familiar) might benefit from the use of a trackball.

Coincidentally, yes: minute: "trying some System Shock on MNT Reform with "shoc…" - Mastodon

2 Likes

Due to the gracious nature of Josch I have been working on getting Starcraft running on my Reform. (I have the original Win 98 version that I bought a long time ago.) However, I’m running into a lot of unmet dependency issues when trying to use bullseye-backports. Has anyone else been successful in getting Starcraft to work? Are you aware of a possible way forward?

This game is still so fun to play, and it will be awesome to get it working on the Reform.

Time to throw another game on the pile here, but Shattered Pixel Dungeon works great on the Reform. (Using the java github version.)

1 Like

Compiles and runs perfectly fine on imx8mq with 52 fps:

2 Likes

Likewise compiles and runs perfectly fine on imx8mq with 50 fps:

Bonus: the game is available in Debian contrib so you can just run “apt install vcmi” to get it.

2 Likes

Vendetta Online works via Box64 and the OpenGL 2 driver. Use the Linux 64-bit client, run the .sh installer as normal, then:
cd ~/.vendetta
box64 ./update.rlb

In the Video and Graphics settings, turn things way down until it runs well on our weaksauce GPU.

For your MMO space quake enjoyment. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Bummer. It errored out for me when running the update.rlb.

Gave me this error:
Warning, cannot apply Global type: R_X86_64_TPOFF64 on errno @0x87cf48 (0), no elf_header found
Error: PltResolver: Symbol gtk_progress_bar_set_show_text(ver 0: gtk_progress_bar_set_show_text) not found, cannot apply R_X86_64_JUMP_SLOT 0x87d748 (0x406ad6) in /home/committed88/.vendetta/update.rlb

I’m not sure I’m using the OpenGL 2 driver though.

That’s not even past the game updater/launcher UI yet, so OpenGL isn’t the problem.

What version of Box64 are you using? It only recently started working for the updater. I’m using one I compiled myself which says Box64 with Dynarec v0.2.6 e42001b2.

1 Like

I’m getting box64 from the repo so not compiling anything myself. Do you happen to have a link to the binary of the version you are using?

Determined through the IRC chat that the latest version of Box64 is required. After compiling that and trying again it worked great! I found a new game, and as someone who has played Eve Online for almost 20 years, this is a real gold mine.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Hi, since nobody has written about a311d in this thread yet, I wanted to give an update on that. For me, all the games that are important to me and that I had tried on imx8mq before but were a bit sluggish work incredibly well on a311d:

• runelite (runescape client) was playable but not much fun. On a311d, framerates are still below 20 but it’s fast enough to be enjoyable
  • starcraft also was choppy at times, especially on bigger maps and with AI opponents. On a311d, I do not notice any difference to playing it natively. No frame-drops, no audio issues – just smooth gameplay as if it was 1998 again.
  • stardew valley was very playable but it took around 30 seconds during the night for each save. With a311d this is gone and it works so well that I am now playing stardew valley in multiplayer on my reform over local network with my partner as if i had a x86_64 machine
5 Likes

I’ve noticed much better performance as well in most cases though the GPU for 3d games doesn’t seem much improved. Dhewm (Doom3) runs slightly better but there’s still room improvement. VCMI (Heroes of might and magic 3) works just as well as it did before. Maybe CPU turns are faster?

I’ve mostly been playing around with box86/box64 and wine. The only game I’ve gotten to run well is alpha centauri and its been a blast. Fallout 3 and NV run a bit choppy but surprisingly well. Both crashed on me when going outside. I’m playing around with different wine versions to see if I can get anything else going.

2 Likes