MNT Reform Gaming Thread

That is awesome. NV is one of the best Fallouts games made. It would be awesome to be able to play it on the Reform.

AFAIK, the Godot game engine is fairly low in terms of demands on hardware; has anyone tested it yet with Reform? It would be very cool to be able to not only play but also develop games on MNT Reform / Reform Pocket!

2 Likes

I’ve installed Box64 on my Reform with A311D (I also made an ebuild for it - if I don’t forget, I’ll post it later). I tried a couple of games, with varying success. It seems Unreal Engine games (I tried Valhalla Hills) need OpenGL features not available with Panfrost and only render black except for the UI, and some Unity games (I tried Parkitect) crash.

However, what seems to be running nicely is the GoG version of Loop Hero, and the Humble Bundle version of World of Goo.

Loop Hero got a bit confused and thought the trackball is both, a mouse and a gamepad, but pressing F8 caused it to behave nicely.

In addition to the emulated stuff, I have been playing some OpenTTD, and am looking forward to continue my savegame on the weekend.

1 Like

As promised, the Box64 ebuild (app-emulation/box64/box64-0.2.6.ebuild):

EAPI=8

inherit cmake

DESCRIPTION="Box64 AMD64 emulator for ARM"
HOMEPAGE="https://github.com/ptitSeb/box64"
SRC_URI="https://github.com/ptitSeb/${PN}/archive/refs/tags/v${PV}.tar.gz"
LICENSE="MIT"
SLOT="0"
KEYWORDS="~arm64"
IUSE="+dynarec"
REQUIRES_EXCLUDE="/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/*"
PROVIDES_EXCLUDE="/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/*"
QA_PRESTRIPPED="usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/.*"

src_configure() {
	local mycmakeargs=(
		-D ARM_DYNAREC=$(usex dynarec)
	)
	if [[ ${PV} != 9999* ]]; then
		mycmakeargs+=( -DNOGIT=1 )
	fi
	cmake_src_configure
}

I’m not sure if building the git version (9999) works, but version 0.2.6 works fine for me. Also, I am unsure about dependencies. It seems Box64 doesn’t have any beyond cmake.

I also just installed “Cook, Serve, Delicious 2”, and it seems to be running fine with Box64 as well.

2 Likes

I got reminded that CorsixTH exists, and installed it on the weekend. Works like a charm on the Reform.

The biggest challenge was to unpack the Theme Hospital game files from the GoG download, as they only offer a Windows .exe installer and a package file for Apple. Luckily, the Apple pkg can be decompressed with a combination of 7z and cpio…

2 Likes