No HDMI output on reform

I’m having some problems getting HDMI output to work on my imx8mq reform. I ran reform-display-config dual as root and rebooted, but I don’t see any output on the HDMI, and wlr-randr and swaymsg -t get_outputs only show the eDP-1 display.

$ cat /etc/flash-kernel/machine 
MNT Reform 2 HDMI

I checked the dtbs, and they look OK:

$ ls /boot/dtbs                                                                                                                                                                            6.5.0-2-reform2-arm64  6.5.0-3-reform2-arm64  6.5.0-4-reform2-arm64  6.5.0-5-reform2-arm64                                                                                                                         
$ ls /boot/dtbs/6.5.0-5-reform2-arm64/                                                                                                                                                            
freescale  imx8mq-mnt-reform2.dtb  imx8mq-mnt-reform2-hdmi.dtb                                                                                                                                                     
$ ls -l /boot/dtbs/6.5.0-5-reform2-arm64/                                                                                                                                                         
total 1                                                                                                                                                                                                            
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 1024 Dec 29 12:10 freescale
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   32 Dec 19 18:15 imx8mq-mnt-reform2.dtb -> freescale/imx8mq-mnt-reform2.dtb
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   37 Dec 29 12:10 imx8mq-mnt-reform2-hdmi.dtb -> freescale/imx8mq-mnt-reform2-hdmi.dtb
humberto@reform:~$ ls -l /boot/dtbs/6.5.0-5-reform2-arm64/freescale/
total 160
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 39094 Dec 19 18:15 imx8mq-mnt-reform2.dtb
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 39094 Dec 19 18:15 imx8mq-mnt-reform2.dtb.bak
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 39491 Dec 29 12:10 imx8mq-mnt-reform2-hdmi.dtb
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 39491 Dec 29 12:10 imx8mq-mnt-reform2-hdmi.dtb.bak
$ ls -l /boot/dtb
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 64 Dec 29 12:10 /boot/dtb -> dtbs/6.5.0-5-reform2-arm64/freescale/imx8mq-mnt-reform2-hdmi.dtb

Any suggestions on what to try next?

Hrm… this all looks okay. What is your output of running cat /proc/device-tree/model? Does running sudo reform-check show anything interesting?

Something’s borked:

$ cat /proc/device-tree/model 
MNT Reform 2

Aha, but that’s great news because now we have an indicator of the problem! :smiley: How do you boot your Reform? Do you use boot.scr (the default) or did you set up u-boot-menu which creates /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf?

Could you share your relevant boot.scr or extlinux.conf? And what is your u-boot version? It shows at the top of the screen at the very start of the boot process.

Did running sudo reform-check produce anything funny related to flash-kernel, u-boot or dtbs?

1 Like

Yea, I have several issues reported by reform-check:

$ sudo reform-check                                                                                                                                                                               
[sudo] password for humberto:                                                                            
E: your currently loaded dtb is not the one referenced by flash-kernel                                   
I: not installed:  blueman busybox dunst firefox firmware-realtek gpiod inetutils-ping kde-style-breeze network-manager-gnome papirus-icon-theme pasystray qt5ct 
W: /boot/flash.bin is not the latest uboot                                                               
W: You can update it to the latest version by running as root:                                           
reform-flash-uboot                                                                                       
W: eMMC does not contain latest uboot                                                                                                                                                                              
reform-flash-uboot emmc                                                                                                                                                                                            
W: SD-Card does not contain latest uboot                                                                                                                                                                           
reform-flash-uboot sd                                                                                                                                                                                              
W: /dev/mmcblk0p2 doesn't exist.                                                                                                                                                                                   
W: To update your eMMC to sysimage-v4 you can run reform-flash-rescue                                    
W: Only run reform-flash-rescue if you intend a factory-reset of your eMMC
W: Do not use reform-flash-rescue if you boot from eMMC because this will overwrite your /boot partition 

I’m updating u-boot, and will check again after rebooting.

Thanks @josch, after a clean reform-check, I now have working HDMI.

1 Like