(off topic) FPGA HDMI repo

You know how the hdmi blob is the last remaining proprietary blob for a fully functional mnt reform.
I found some repo with reverse engineered hdmi firmware.

It’s currently not ported to the reform, so that is something to look into when I get mine back from repair, but I thought it would be interesting to share.

3 Likes

Sorry, but this has nothing at all to do with the HDMI blob for Reform. The repo you linked has some verilog gateware (not software) for generating HDMI signals with an FPGA. This has been done for a long time, MNT even started out with selling a graphics card (VA2000) for Amiga computers that used a Spartan-6 FPGA to generate HDMI (really DVI) directly with open source gateware adapted from Hamsterwork’s HDL code.

The binary blob for the i.MX8M HDMI controller block is a piece of software/firmware code (not gateware) that runs in a separate microcontroller (tiny CPU) inside of the HDMI controller and is mostly there for HDCP (content protection foo) enforcement. It does not contain any functionality at all to generate HDMI/DVI signals.

Ah, sorry.
My mistake.
Shall I remove this threat or would you rather have that remained here as an example for the rest.

No problem, it’s fine to stay.