Possible KiCAD OpenGL Regression

Just started up KiCAD 6 on my Reform for the first time in a while, last I used kicad on the reform was version 5 on sysimage v2. I was greeted with the following error when opening the schematic editor:

Could not use OpenGL, falling back to software rendering

Cannot create more framebuffers. OpenGL rendering backend requires at least 3 framebuffers. You may try to update/change your graphic drivers.

It appears that this a regression from this bug report that @minute created 2 years ago that fixed it before the Reform was even fully out. Accelerated pcbnew canvas on etnaviv (#3777) · Issues · KiCad / KiCad Source Code / kicad · GitLab

I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this and if it should then be reported upstream to KiCAD or if it’s somehow a potential configuration issue on my side or with sysimagev3 somehow

EDIT:
Created a new issue at Regression: Accelerated canvas on etnaviv - framebuffer layers (#14175) · Issues · KiCad / KiCad Source Code / kicad · GitLab if anyone has more experiance of diagnosing the problem let me know.

I was told by @mtm on IRC that they’re not seeing this issue, so was wondering if anyone else can confirm it for me? Make sure to enable Hardware Acceleration in the settings for eschema/pcbnew in KiCAD

Just checked: I didn’t have accelerated graphics enabled. After doing so I’m seeing the same issue, so not your config after all.

Just got my pull request merged, so the latest master branch should now have a fix for it included, and will likely then be in the next patch release 7.0.2. Just need to also disable anti-aliasing and acceleration works again on the reform. Diff Layer Transparancy Fallback for Low Framebuffer Count (!1552) · Merge requests · KiCad / KiCad Source Code / kicad · GitLab

2 Likes