QWERTZ and Delete Key

Hi,

I have a QWERTZ keyboard as shown in this picture:

With the script reform-config I changed the keyboard layout to German.

Now I miss the Delete Key. What key combination do I need to press in order to get [Delete]?

On QWERY it is next to the Shift Key:

Thank you
Nils

Hi Nils, you will have to remap another key (for example HYPER or “…”) or key combo to DEL on QWERTZ, for example with a custom xkb layout in sway (which desktop are you using)? I can figure out a recipe for you a bit later today, if nobody else wants to jump to the rescue.

If you’re using sway, you can use a custom keyboard layout by adding this to .config/sway/config:

input "1003:8258:MNT_Reform_Keyboard" xkb_layout my-layout

This will read the file .xkb/symbols/my-layout, in which you can remap keys. Paste the following content in that file:

default partial alphanumeric_keys
xkb_symbols "basic" {
        include "de"
        name[Group1] = "MNT Reform German (with HYPER as DEL)";
        key <RWIN> { [ Delete, Delete, Delete, Delete ] };
};

Then reload sway with Super+Shift+C. Now you will have a QWERTZ layout with the HYPER key producing DEL.

You can look up the symbolic key names (like <RWIN>) in the file /usr/share/X11/xkb/keycodes/evdev.

Thank you for the explanation. I have read and familiarized myself with the subject of keyboard firmware. I have created my own firnware variant KBD_VARIANT_QWERTZ_TRADITIONAL.

I am very happy with it.

I will gladly publish my customization in the official repo. I have also created a README and add more comments to Keyboard.c, so that others have it even easier.

2 Likes

I’ve replaced left-space with left-crtl and the previous left-ctrl with delete in the firmware, and its been great for line editing in the terminal and acme.

1 Like

I also tried to use reform-config to change to QWERTZ, but it does not work. :frowning:

It should work to change the layout on the console (after logging out and back in). You can also try loadkeys de on the console and should have an immediate effect.

But to have QWERTZ work in sway, try, in .config/sway/config:

input * {
    xkb_layout "de"
}
1 Like