QWERTZ and Delete Key

Hi,

I have a QWERTZ keyboard as shown in this picture:

With the script reform-config I changed the keyboard layout to German.

Now I miss the Delete Key. What key combination do I need to press in order to get [Delete]?

On QWERY it is next to the Shift Key:

Thank you
Nils

Hi Nils, you will have to remap another key (for example HYPER or “…”) or key combo to DEL on QWERTZ, for example with a custom xkb layout in sway (which desktop are you using)? I can figure out a recipe for you a bit later today, if nobody else wants to jump to the rescue.

If you’re using sway, you can use a custom keyboard layout by adding this to .config/sway/config:

input "1003:8258:MNT_Reform_Keyboard" xkb_layout my-layout

This will read the file .xkb/symbols/my-layout, in which you can remap keys. Paste the following content in that file:

default partial alphanumeric_keys
xkb_symbols "basic" {
        include "de"
        name[Group1] = "MNT Reform German (with HYPER as DEL)";
        key <RWIN> { [ Delete, Delete, Delete, Delete ] };
};

Then reload sway with Super+Shift+C. Now you will have a QWERTZ layout with the HYPER key producing DEL.

You can look up the symbolic key names (like <RWIN>) in the file /usr/share/X11/xkb/keycodes/evdev.

Thank you for the explanation. I have read and familiarized myself with the subject of keyboard firmware. I have created my own firnware variant KBD_VARIANT_QWERTZ_TRADITIONAL.

I am very happy with it.

I will gladly publish my customization in the official repo. I have also created a README and add more comments to Keyboard.c, so that others have it even easier.

2 Likes

I’ve replaced left-space with left-crtl and the previous left-ctrl with delete in the firmware, and its been great for line editing in the terminal and acme.

1 Like