Should headphones be detected automatically

Hey friends! I have just received my reform and noticed that when I plug in my headphones the audio keeps playing through the speakers. I have to explicitly set headphones as output device in pavucontrol.

I’m not sure if it is configured this way or is it something that needs troubleshooting. Has anyone had this issue?

Thanks!

I experience the same thing. It looks like loading “module-switch-on-connect” is supposed to do the trick, but no luck here with my wired headphones.

It’s not been much of a hassle for me, but I might just wire a “toggle sink” script of some kind to a keyboard shortcut, similar to what Veazer did in that thread I linked.

Yeah you need to set it through pavucontrol, BUT I kind of like that functionality. I mean it tracks that when you plug in headphones you would like to use them, but there are times where maybe you need to let someone else listen, and it is nice that you don’t have to unplug them to accomplish that.

Here’s the script I just wrote to toggle between the headphone and speaker ports:

#!/bin/sh

pacmd list | grep -q "active port: <analog-output-speaker>" \
	&& pacmd set-sink-port 0 analog-output-headphones \
	|| pacmd set-sink-port 0 analog-output-speaker

Which I’m keeping at ~/intramuros/scripts/toggle-audio-port.sh and have connected to Mod+F6 using this line in ~/.config/sway/config:

bindsym $mod+F6 exec ~/intramuros/scripts/toggle-audio-port.sh
2 Likes

Thank you for your replies folks! Thanks @lykso for the script :slight_smile:

It’s a good point that automatically switching the output is not necessarily the right way it should work.

1 Like