Undefined symbol: wl_proxy_marshal_flags

After an upgrade of the debian system (bookworm/sid) several programs fail to start with the above error. As I understood, that’s due to changes in wayland-core. Are you running into similar problems and how did you fix them?

(Also the swaybar is missing again, probably due to a similar error)

I had the swaybar go missing as well. It was because things were still looking at /local/bin instead of bin. So you have to either point everything back to local/bin or move everything to bin. (I think, I’m not an expert yet at these kinds of things, and I might have the specifics messed up.)

I have updated debian as well and after that initial speed bump have things all pretty much working again. I am still on 5.12.0 kernel though, and I believe they are talking about 5.17 on IRC.

Apparently a scriptable upgrade path to make this easier for everyone is in the works.

Thanks but that’s not my problem:

$ /usr/bin/waybar
/usr/bin/waybar: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libgtk-layer-shell.so.0: undefined symbol: wl_proxy_marshal_flags

using exec /usr/bin/swaybar in sway’s config does not work either.

Solution

BUT your post got me thinking and the solution for me was to change the search order for ldconfig by putting the /usr/loca/lib/aarch64-linux=gnu/ line in /etc/ld.so.conf.d/aarch64-linux-gnu.conf further down:

# Multiarch support
/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu
/usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu
/usr/local/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu

So thanks for your help!

1 Like