Which pointer device with external keyboard?

Dears,

I really like the external standalone keyboard. I have even two of them, one at home and one at work :slight_smile:

However, what I’m missing desperately is an integrated pointer device, i.e. either a touchpad (e.g. 10in USB Verdrahtete Tastatur mit Touchpad 84 Schlüssel Touch Pad Tastatur Scirrors Fuß Tasten mit Präzise Touch Control für Desktop laptop|Tastaturen| - AliExpress) or, maybe better, a Lenovo style “clit mouse” between “G”, “H”, and “B” (e.g. Lenovo’s new ThinkPad keyboard is the best way to get the infamous nub on your desktop - The Verge).

I don’t want to work with something that forces me to move my fingers away from the keyboard, nor do I have desk real estate for any moving parts.

Does somebody have similar requirements and solved them somehow? E.g. a USB touchpad glued somehow to the keyboard?

Thank you so much in advance!

PS: I would even be willing to participate in crowd funding a free and open clit mouse, if necessary.

Qmk supports the keyboard, and there are options for mapping mouse movements to keys if you’re willing to get your hands dirty in the firmware. I’ve used that feature in the past and could never get used to it, but it’s an option

Edit: autocorrect

1 Like

You might want to consider the TEX Shinobi (or DIY version with hotswap sockets). I have one and it is very good. The main downsides are that it’s not low profile (Cherry MX instead of Kailh Choc), and the hardware and firmware aren’t open source. (I also used clicky Cherry ML-compatible switches for the mouse buttons, which are much better than the linear Cherry ML’s that came with the board, but were very difficult to source.)

I think the pointing stick used by the Shinobi might also available as a standalone module, probably not as purely free/open hardware, but as a simple sensor that probably has a data sheet available. The difficulty is that it requires modified G, H, B key caps (which the Shinobi has in its design).

Lastly, please don’t call it that. There’s no need for such an overly sexualised name - “trackpoint”, “pointing stick”, or “mouse nub” work just fine to describe it.

2 Likes

Sorry for using the controversial term. It’s the one I knew, but both “trackpoint” or “nub” sound accurate to me!

Thanks for pointing to the TEX Shinobi! It looks by far too big and clumsy for my taste, however.

Looking at https://imgur.com/a/0VHce, I wonder, if it were possible to insert a Lenovo nub in the MNT keyboard… Nice project for the time after retirement.

My Lenovo keyboard has the “B” only slightly modified. It’s probably fine to install the nub a little bit higher and modify only “G” and “H”. Less work and maybe even a better position.

Thanks! I will think about it, but I probably would not get used it either. At least that’s far less work than installing a nub in the MNT keyboard!

For the “ultimate hacking keyboard” from HU, there are plugin pointing devices:

Maybe it is possible to combine them with the MNT keyboard somehow…

I’m interested in attempting such a mod if possible, as someone who can’t really live without a TrackPoint in my computer. I’ve spent a little bit of time looking through the schematics of the reform laptop (being completely new to using blender and CAD software), but I couldn’t find any schematic that would show the clearance between the keyboard PCB and the motherboard underneath. Thickness seems to be the biggest issue when it comes to adding TrackPoints to existing devices, especially if one wants to simply reuse an existing module, for example salvaged from a genuine ThinkPad keyboard. Since the newer models changed how thick the entire module is, as well as the length of the shaft and the rubber nub, having extra thickness to go with the best thing available is a nice bonus, especially over laptops with more space constraints.

Aside from thickness, getting enough space to have a TrackPoint in between keys might be also a tight squeeze, and made me wonder if it would be possible to file off parts of the key switches if possible, without destroying them in the process or making an opening in them that would let dirt inside of the switch, making its lifespan much shorter.

If anyone’s interested in making an open hardware module, the patents have expired a while ago, so that part of it is in the clear.

1 Like

I love the shinobi it’s a great keyboard. This company sells trackpoint modules:

It had me thinking of custom keyboard with one. QMK supports them afaik and these pointing sticks like the trackpoint commonly use PS/2 which would tie up a couple uart lines on the mcu so design accordingly!

1 Like

also theres a version that connects 2 modules via ffc cable that would lower height requirements. One of the tricky things is you would have to trim keycaps if you want it in the g-h-b position like on a thinkpad. it most certainly can be done just a matter of time and patience.

1 Like

@chipperoodles do you know if there’s any schematic that shows the clearance between PCBs I mentioned in my post? Knowing how much space I’d have to work with before I even consider buying a reform would be nice. An external module would likely go under the keyboard PCB itself and have some sort of insulation on both sides to prevent shorts, adding thickness.

I tried looking it up myself but it doesn’t seem to be covered by any schematics in the repo, and there isn’t that many videos out there yet to even be able to guesstimate off a frame of one that shows a desirable angle or the laptop being disassembled in the right spot.

You can get the distance by looking at the CAD models of the main box. Those can be found in the reform git repo. I just opened up this file in freecad:

And it seems the distance between both boards is 3.25 mm:

Thanks a ton, I had no idea what .step files were meant to be opened with at all, this changes a lot when it comes to looking into the specifics of planning out such a project.

I’ve done some preliminary measurements with the trackpoint module from a T420, and based on my rookie planning, squeezing it in should be doable, even though it’s a bit of a tight squeeze. Some bodge wires (and maybe even a diode) might need to be re-ran if you just punch a hole in the default PCB, alongside trimming of the switches and custom keycaps. I haven’t done height calculations yet, but I’m planning to do a write up on it. I’m still considering what options I have, and I’m not yet locked onto getting a reform, as cool as it is.

Sorry for such a late post. Here are my findings:

I’ve used the trackpoint module from my T420 keyboard (which is shared with other models in that generation as well as xx10 series) as a reference, so these won’t apply to others, especially newer models.

The module is about 3mm thick with the shielding on it (removing it and insulating would reduce the depth), while the space between the keyboard and the motherboard is about 3.25mm. That part might be doable.

The module would require punching a hole that’s about 8mm in diameter, that would likely require risky trimming of key switches (modified keycaps are obviously a must). There are about 2 diodes or so that might get in the way along with wires that would have to be bodged. Depending on tolerance for risk (and having a couple spare switches to work on), that part might be sort of doable. Here’s a rough visualization of how big the hole is on the PCB:

The biggest problem would be the height. The switches stand at 8mm without the keycap, while the mounted trackpoint is about 7.84mm tall. Modifications would be required here, like using something to make the metal shaft longer.

I think a better approach would be something like what Tex has done with their newer modules, which screw into key switches.