ZZ9000 firmware 1.9 on A2000 NTSC System - bug report

Hi Lukas, Bnu and team.

Setup:

A2000 (NTSC), 2 meg chip (megachip), Vampire 500 v2+, Buddha IDE, OS 3.2 (ROM chip not really required because of vampire but it’s there).

The 1.9 firmware would not work for me - specifically, no P96 display would be visible, unless the nodma zz9000.card file was used. After which, the screen drawing is very very slow, pretty much making the system unusable.

No further attempt was made to test the usb or internet port.

I didn’t check all the native modes. NTSC hires laced did not work. Other modes did.

Thank-you.

1 Like

Lukas and team,

I have tried the new 1.9.1 update. I have reported my issues to Lukas via email.

Summary:

1. The native NTSC high res laced mode is working
  2. The screen drawing speed is still very slow
  3. The display turns on and off for a native screen mode while using some applications.

Thank-you.

1 Like

One more observation (found by accident today):

With FW 1.9, Zorro ram cards cause my system to stop working - sometimes booting to a green screen. This wasn’t a problem with 1.8.

Hi, thanks for the bug report. The bad performance is a new bug that I also noticed a few days ago. Please test this new pre-release firmware and tell me if the problem is gone:

http://dump.mntmn.com/zz9000-firmware-r-1_9_2-rc1-zorro2-noautoboot.zip

Lukas, I will try to test this this evening.

With the Vampire card in my Amiga (and Buddha IDE), the computer boots to a green screen.

2nd test:

Removing the Vampire and using a 68000, the computer boots from both floppy or the Buddha. I even installed an AdRam 2080 RAM card. Computer works. Native NTSC high-res laced screen mode works. So does PAL high-res laced.

Hope this helps.

Lukas,

Test #3:
With the Vampire, removing the Buddha, and using the Vampire’s IDE, the system works. Drawing speed is definitely faster.

BTW, why is the firmware tagged as ‘noautoboot’ ?

1 Like

Update:

When booting up with the Vampire, very often I get boot errors:

Vampiremap (v1.13)
Error. Input kickstart checksum wrong.
Kickstart file integrity check failed.

LoadModuleError: Some devices are validating, reboot aborted

This part of the boot sequence from OS 3.2. By default, the vampire has a resident modified kickstart 3.1 in its flashmemory. So the boot sequence tries to load 3.2 resident. I never saw this error before.

There is another problem: When in a native screen mode, the display turns on and off.

Validation error:
Looks like my games partition got corrupted (again). I need to fix this.

I fixed the damaged partition. This error keeps on popping up on boot.
After a soft reset, it goes away.

I will revert back to 1.8 and see if this is still present.

I have resolved this issue. It has nothing to do with the ZZ9000. It’s an OS 3.2 - Vampire issue.

2 Likes