Zz9900 Guru RTG only

Hi Guys. I’ve actually got very similar issues too… i could go on and on for ages about how to got here but let me keep this simple so you’re not reading forever… and this issue has been around for … well as long as i recall even having the ZZ9000, but as of today…

If i use Dopus v4.17pre21 (Earlier versions been tested) and i open a large text file (230kb) and i start scrolling… she will freeze randomly… pretty much as EvilDragon described… This has persisted through various OS installs. I removed BigRamPlus and the motherboards fastram, leaving the 2mb chip and my Apollo 4060 128mb.

But here’s the recent info… since the new zz9000 behaviour of needing 3 reboots for FULL functions… of which is listed below…

First turn on

• I get NO RTG… so i must reboot
    After First reboot
  • RTG is recognised and looks nice but the ZZ9000 memory is NOT recognised. I get 128mb from my Apollo 4060 so its perfectly usable at this point.
    Second reboot (or 3rd time lucky)
  • RTG is there and so is ALL my 128mb from Apollo 4060 + ZZ9000 256mb. Rock and or Roll!

I have found that when the 2nd boot is done, with 128mb Apollo ram but NO ZZ9000 memory, and if i open and scroll my dopus text, it DOES NOT FREEZE… last night i must have run that text file 6-8 times once after the other at various speeds … and it did not crash at ALL.

Then i did the 3rd reboot, got all my ZZ9000 memory available as well as my Apollo 4060 128mb… combined to 384mb or something… and now… DOPUS WILL FREEZE… the text isn’t able to complete even once. I did this TWICE as well from the start and both times it did the same, only freezing once the ZZ9000 256mb was in use.

The extra little clue i have found though is this… The only other card i have is an X-Surf 100, that X-Surf 100 NEEDS to run with the Z2 jumper, if i try it at Z3 speeds, my system will NOT boot. I hate having to run the card slower, but it works, and i wonder if the same needs to happen with the ZZ9000, i need to slow it down as i assume it is autosensing Z3 but not the fault of MNT, but more somethign is wrong with my original daughter card that it can’t keep up anymore with Z3 speeds and thus… once the memory is activated, she dies.

That’s my 2 cents for now… i wonder if knowing this helps you to draw to a similar conclusion?

System:
Amiga 4000 D - Apollo 4060/128mb (Full 060 w/ FPU/MMU)… chip runs at 66mhz, but 50Mhz has been tested with no change to result.
I use the most current P96 3.3.2 i bought only 2 weeks ago with my 3.2.1 Kickstart roms and Workbench.
Yes i’ve had this issue from initial setup years ago to the current 1.12.1 firmward, but my feeling is there is an external issue from the card and i’m looking suspiciously at the daughter board, something i would replace but i hear there’s so many incompatibilities with cards i never considered it. I also get a Recoverable Alert when i first turn on my machine. I could unpack more and more but this is LONG.

Ivan