Since the last firmware update I have not been able to boot from my encrypted nvme. It is the same model I was using before the firmware update.
sudo reform-setup-encrypted-disk looks like this:
sudo reform-setup-encrypted-disk
This will ERASE ALL DATA from your NVMe SSD.
Are you sure you want to proceed? [y/N] y
WARNING: Device /dev/nvme0n1 already contains a 'crypto_LUKS' superblock signature.
WARNING!
========
This will overwrite data on /dev/nvme0n1 irrevocably.
Are you sure? (Type 'yes' in capital letters): YES
Enter passphrase for /dev/nvme0n1:
Verify passphrase:
Enter passphrase for /dev/nvme0n1:
Physical volume "/dev/mapper/reform_crypt" successfully created.
Volume group "reformvg" successfully created
Logical volume "swap" created.
Setting up swapspace version 1, size = 8 GiB (8589930496 bytes)
no label, UUID=4df97230-5cae-4976-a659-3e784a7ef026
Logical volume "root" created.
mke2fs 1.47.4 (6-Mar-2025)
Creating filesystem with 119994368 4k blocks and 29999104 inodes
Filesystem UUID: 9d44561a-bff4-45db-abac-81696621728d
Superblock backups stored on blocks:
32768, 98304, 163840, 229376, 294912, 819200, 884736, 1605632, 2654208,
4096000, 7962624, 11239424, 20480000, 23887872, 71663616, 78675968,
102400000
Allocating group tables: done
Writing inode tables: done
Creating journal (262144 blocks): done
Writing superblocks and filesystem accounting information: done
The encrypted NVMe SSD is now set up. Do you want me to run reform-migrate now as well? [y/N] y
7,025,688,655 99% 13.68MB/s 0:08:09 (xfr#189880, to-chk=0/269576)
Your /boot partition will be on eMMC by default. Do you want it on the SD-Card instead? [y/N] N
I: Using partition on eMMC for /boot: /dev/mmcblk2p1.
This script selects your preferred boot medium. It writes your choice to the file /etc/fstab
This script will copy the contents from the old /boot partition
/dev/mmcblk0p1 (SD-card) to the new /boot partition mmcblk2p1 (eMMC) and delete all
files from the latter that were not present in the former.
Are you sure that you want to remove the contents of mmcblk2p1 (eMMC)
and replace it with the contents of /dev/mmcblk0p1 (SD-card)? [y/N] y
commenting original /etc/fstab contents
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-7.1.13-mnt-reform-arm64
I: skipping reform_set_root in favour of flash_kernel_set_root
Using DTB: freescale/imx8mp-mnt-pocket-reform.dtb
Installing /usr/lib/linux-image-7.1.13-mnt-reform-arm64/freescale/imx8mp-mnt-pocket-reform.dtb into /boot/dtbs/7.1.13-mnt-reform-arm64/freescale/imx8mp-mnt-pocket-reform.dtb
Taking backup of imx8mp-mnt-pocket-reform.dtb.
Installing new imx8mp-mnt-pocket-reform.dtb.
flash-kernel: installing version 7.1.13-mnt-reform-arm64
Generating boot script u-boot image... done.
Taking backup of boot.scr.
Installing new boot.scr.
Your /boot partition is on emmc (/dev/mmcblk2p1).
I: The bootloader will prefer the first partition on SD-card over the first partition on eMMC
I: Your current system has its /boot mounted from SD-card.
I: You requested to configure a new /boot on eMMC
I: Instead of just rebooting, power off the system.
I: Then remove the SD-card.
I: Lastly, power the system on again.
I: Power off your MNT Pocket Reform by running 'systemctl poweroff'.
0 logical volume(s) in volume group "reformvg" now active
You can now reboot into your encrypted System.
lsblk looks like this:
NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINTS
mmcblk2 179:0 0 116.6G 0 disk
├─mmcblk2p1 179:1 0 488M 0 part
└─mmcblk2p2 179:2 0 116.1G 0 part
nvme0n1 259:0 0 465.8G 0 disk
mmcblk2boot0 179:256 0 4M 1 disk
mmcblk0 179:512 0 119.1G 0 disk
├─mmcblk0p1 179:513 0 488M 0 part /boot
└─mmcblk0p2 179:514 0 118.7G 0 part /
mmcblk2boot1 179:768 0 4M 1 disk
```
reform check looks like this;
```
I: Contents of /proc/device-tree/model: MNT Pocket Reform with i.MX8MP Module
I: `uname -a` output: Linux arkilikos 7.1.13-mnt-reform-arm64 #1 SMP PREEMPT Debian 7.1.13-1+reform20260912T093057Z (2026-09-1 aarch64 GNU/Linux
I: Version of linux-image-mnt-reform-arm64: 7.1.13-1+reform20260912T093057Z
I: Version of reform-tools: 1.89-1+reform20260817T102547Z+1
I: Version of system image: System Image v5: 2026-09-23
I: Version of system controller firmware: 20260808
I: Latest version of system controller firmware: 20260819
I: Version of keyboard firmware: 20260808
I: Version of Pocket Reform panel: 2
W: /sys/bus/spi/drivers/reform2_lpc/spi1.0/firmware does not exist -- is the reform2_lpc module loaded?
I: Version of upstream U-Boot: 2022.04
I: Version of MNT U-Boot: 2026-01-28
I: probably booting via /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf (/boot/boot.scr also exists)
I: Mount source of /: /dev/mmcblk0p2 (SD-card)
I: Mount source of /boot: /dev/mmcblk0p1 (SD-card)
I: the following files differ from how they are shipped by reform-tools (ignore /var/lib/alsa/asound.state):
??5?????? /var/lib/alsa/asound.state
I: kernel boot parameters your system does use but which are not the default:
+ console=ttymxc1,115200
I: kernel boot parameters which are the default but your system doesn't use them:
- console=ttymxc1
W: reform-setup-wizard failed to clean up /etc/profile.d/reform-setup.sh. It can be safely removed.
I: eMMC contains the latest bootloader version 2026-01-28
```
runnind dmesg:
```
dmesg -T | grep -i nvme0n1
[Sun Sep 27 07:27:30 2026] block nvme0n1: No UUID available providing old NGUID
```
last few lines of dmesg:
[ 31.899018] Bluetooth: RFCOMM TTY layer initialized
[ 31.899071] Bluetooth: RFCOMM socket layer initialized
[ 31.899103] Bluetooth: RFCOMM ver 1.11
[ 38.372622] panel-mnt-pocket-reform 32e60000.dsi.0: [jdi_panel_get_modes] panel_version: 2
[ 44.282574] rfkill: input handler disabled
[ 44.904939] mnt_sc spi1.0: mntsc: couldn't parse response: err undf
[ 45.057917] mnt_sc spi1.0: mntsc: couldn't parse response: err maxp
[ 45.422986] mnt_sc spi1.0: mntsc: couldn't parse response: err undf
[ 45.550974] mnt_sc spi1.0: mntsc: couldn't parse response: err undf
[ 68.524812] rfkill: input handler enabled
[ 69.757606] panel-mnt-pocket-reform 32e60000.dsi.0: [jdi_panel_get_modes] panel_version: 2
[ 227.413366] mnt_sc spi1.0: mntsc: couldn't parse response: err undf
[ 541.843868] SCSI subsystem initialized
```
I tried booting with the UART cable, but it was old and perhaps defective. Will try to find another one.
As I said: this behavior started after I upgraded the firmware last month. I've seen a few issues already about this, but no resolution.