Questions and Requests about the Rack Reform

To tinker, you still have to open up the Rack Reform box. What you need is just something to attach your motherboard to for easy access and debuggability, no? This is the setup that I’m using for evaluating new reform-tools releases. It currently has the LS1028A installed:

In the corner there is a tiny RP2040 board with a few lines of micropython on it which sends p1 or p0 to the motherboard to switch it on and off, respectively. Here is a close-up together with the USB-UART adapter:

The whole thing is powered by a regular ATX PSU, powering the Reform with 12 V.

To create a header that is a standard RS232 serial port directly to the motherboard.

To do that on my regular reform, I have a USB-UART adapter integrated into the chassis and expose the micro-usb plug through the left-hand-side-panel:

As I recall, the HDMI port isn’t supported without specific adjustments? This is related to my second request

The HDMI port works just fine with the imx8mq. The only quirk is, that you have to select and boot with a different device tree to make use of it. You do that by running reform-display-config dual. This is disabled by default because if active, the internal display is run by a less performant display engine (LCDIF instead of DCSS) and the panel is run at a lower freq, so we can’t just default to it.

2 Likes