Where is my computer?

My order was placed on September 20th, 2021 and I just got a shipping notification and a tracking number yesterday on Tuesday, 31st of May.
Very excited to finally receive this hardware!

2 Likes

Nothing here yet, but the dates are yesterday and today, so I guess if I don’t hear anything by the end of next week I’ll try kicking them.

EDIT: Order date was October 2021

Just got my kit delivered! Can’t wait to start using it, although I’ll probably insulate the battery terminals (as detailed in Isolating battery clips) with heat shrink tubing first since the clips do sit very close to one another when the batteries are in place.

3 Likes

Just got my shipping notification for my May 4 2021 order, left Texas this morning on its way to Washington by Monday. Cool!

I’ll be tied up in the boatyard basically all of June but if I get some downtime cycles I’ll try to get it assembled and hang out in the rest of the forum a bit more!

1 Like

My trackball finally showed up, so my Reform is complete.

1 Like

Arrived in USA-WA. I’ve never seen quite so many packing peanuts in my life, but it looks like everything is here, including both trackball and trackpad!

Boatyard prep, haulout, and actual boat work (plus my Friday nights TTRPG campaign :joy:) have my schedule slammed for the entire month, but I’ll likely have a weeknight free this or next week to assemble this (and to apply Isolating battery clips straight out of the gate) and throw an OS (likely Gentoo, Void, or NixOS) on it to report back. Looks like I’m out of this thread now, though - see you all around the forum!

3 Likes

Got this from CS just now:

Apologies for the delay on your MNT Reform order. Your order was delayed in part due to the logistics of shipping the relatively large quantity of batteries included in each MNT Reform unit. Due to shipping restrictions on such batteries, your order cannot be shipped via our usual FedEx method and must instead be shipped via either DHL or UPS. Unfortunately, this means that we as the shipper won’t be able to pay VAT and clear your package through customs on your behalf. Instead, you will need to pay VAT on delivery and work with the carrier to clear the package through customs. We’re sorry for the inconvenience and will of course refund you any VAT we already collected from you.

Just wow. It could have all been so easy to just wait and order from MNT directly but now after two full years of placing the order on CS, them demanding extra VAT with very short notice and now not being able to declare it at all is just mismanagement on all ends. And to all access I now need to work with customs directly for a product from Germany which is being delivered to Germany via the US…

1 Like

I’ve had that as well, honestly I have no words for this. I think I’m going to cancel and order it directly from MNT.

Cancelling is not recommended, as there will be additional delays (months) when ordering from us vs CS, where you’ll get your device immediately if you’ve got such an email.

frankly I have no faith in CS anymore and at this point I’ll tolerate waiting a few more months to get it from source.

I understand your frustration, but I’ve been in contact with CS about this issue and I am sure that they will do as promised in the email.

1 Like

I have been receiving the same mail and been on the verge of cancelling, but since ordering directly from MNT again would be a whole new process and there is not really an alternative to the Reform for me in terms of an open laptop (although the Framework looks nice), I decided to follow through with it.

I will report back how it’s going.

1 Like

so after being given the option to cancel, which I chose, I have now been informed that actually I can’t cancel.

I can safely say that CS are the most incompetent business i’ve ever had the misfortune to deal with and I will never be buying anything from their platform again.

I have received a follow up estimating the orders to ship very very soon. They estimated 10 business days for the order to reach me, which I will count down starting now. :grinning:

2 Likes

To provide a counterpoint. I can say that CS has treated me right every step of the way (within their ability) and they appear to treat the “makers” which we are supporting within their ability.

My CS timeline:

• ordered DIY kit with all the extras Sep 28, 2021
  • emailed asking about status May 20, 2022
  • received reply May 23, 2022 stating “waiting on a few items” with an estimate ship date of “June 1”
  • shipment May 31, 2022

Aside: I have many significantly delayed orders on CS which have not shipped yet as far back as December 2020 (Glasgow). I have accepted that is how it is these days unless I am ordering from companies with multi-million dollar manufacturing “runs” and decades of manufacturing experience (and even they appear to be struggling). In the words of the CEO of rPath (rip 2012), “hardware is harrrrrd” (which is why we made software).

1 Like

Just received the following

Hello,

This Tanner over at Crowd Supply! We were alerted that your order is ready to ship, but line 001 of the order is short. I believe from the order, that would be the trackball module.

Are you okay with the order being shipped as a partial while we wait for the module to get back in stock at our warehouse?

Please let me know at your earliest convenience.

Regards,
Tanner
Customer Support Team
Crowd Supply

Not very impressed considering that they should have a surplus of them according to Lukas’ numbers. Kind of unsure how to proceed, I want my laptop but I’m not entirely keen on going through the import rigmarole twice.

Finally got a shipping notification today, lets see how long it takes to arrive.

1 Like

Hey, after more than two years (order was placed beginning of July 2020) my order is finally about to arrive. I only had to phone around a lot for custom clearance and pay way over 200€ import tax on a product that came originally from this country, making the DIY kit more expensive than ordering a preassembled one from MNT directly!

Honestly I’ll never buy anything that isn’t stocked anymore. Never had those issues with any other project I backed/bought before but this was the last time I’ll back or preorder.

It’s a rough life, preordering and backing projects yet to come to fruition. I backed the Purism Librem 5 in 2017 and only received it this year! That’s an extreme case, but illustrative all the same. I hope you enjoy your Reform when it arrives. There are rough edges (no undervoltage protection for the battery cells being foremost in my mind), but I’m still impressed with what such a small team was able to pull off. It gives me a little hope.

I’m sorry that you had to wait this long. I can assure you it’s not what we intended. On the bright side, the System Image is much better now and well integrated with Debian and many little problems have been ironed out in the meantime. I hope you’ll have a good experience with the device.

Looking at current stats in the CS system, there are only 23 unshipped orders left. We also shipped another 14 laptops to CS today to put them ahead of sales. We’ll now focus on clearing the MNT shop backorders from earlier this year and then build additional stock for CS and us.

3 Likes